Hey All –
To start off our blog that will feature various topics, we wanted to share a recipe from our healthy cooking class in June. This recipe covers how to make chicken, asparagus and prosciutto roulades. Give this a try and let us know how you like it. This recipe is compliments of Chef Mario at the Hy-Vee on 96th & Q.
All You Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 sprigs of thyme, stemmed and chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 24 asparagus sprigs, cut woody ends off
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 small shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
All You Do:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the olive oil, garlic and thyme in a mixing bowl.
- On a sheet tray, spread out the chicken thighs and begin to build roulades by placing a piece of prosciutto on each thigh followed by a slice of provolone and finally six sprigs of asparagus right in the center. Begin to roll the thigh meat all the way around the asparagus to wrap it. You can use toothpicks or butchers twine to keep it from busting open.
- Generously season the chicken with the garlic, thyme, oil mixture, salt and pepper.
- Bring a non-stick saute pan to medium-high heat and add the chicken. Cook them while turning about every minute and a half to get a nice sear on all sides.
- Remove all of the chicken roulades from the saute pan and place on the same sheet tray as before and place in the oven to finish cooking for about 7-10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 for a minimum of 15 seconds.
- Place the saute pan back on the heat, add the shallots and saute for about 1 minute or until they become translucent, then add the white wine and reduce to au sec (almost dry in French).
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, add the heavy whipping cream and bring back to a boil, reduce to a simmer until the sauce has reached a desireable consistency from reduction. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve roulade over a bed of rice and/or finish with sauce.